Pages

...keeps the blues away.

Our journey to parenthood.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Embryo Transfer

So surprise! Embryo transfer was today instead of Friday.
I got the call from the embryologist this morning to update me on my embryos, only to find out that all 7 of them are fragmenting. So as not to risk them not lasting until Friday, and also because it is better if they are in their natural environment in my uterus, they wanted to do the transfer today.
So I freaked out, started looking up fragmentation, and freaked out some more. They never told me the extent of the fragmentation, just to come in for 10:30am transfer.
So I rushed to get ready, and then go pick up DH from work, then rush to the clinic.
We got there and were checked in at about 9:45. Then they brought us in around 10ish. I was really uncomfortable because I had to pee, so they let me pee a little, but not empty my bladder. The embryologist came to talk to us about the embryos. all 7 were still growing, but were all fragmenting. The two they were going to put in were pretty good quality, though. One was a 5 cell, grade 2, with 15% fragmentation. The second one was a 6 cell, grade 3, with 20% fragementation, but it was compacted. As for the other ones, two had 50% or more fragmentation, so they probably won't make it to freeze. The other 3 had about 20% fragmentation, so we will have to wait and see how they are on Friday or Saturday. The clinic will call me and let me know how they are, and if any can be frozen. The embryologist also said that they did Assisted Hatching, because with the fragmentation, the embryos might not be strong enough to hatch out of their shells on their own.
So yeah, there was another woman ahead of me and she was in the procedure room, but the doctor wasn't there yet. They waited and waited, and since she was so uncomfortable too, they let her come out and pee 3 times. Finally the doctor came, and then he did hers and then I don't know where he went. Because they got the room all ready for me, and then we were waiting in there forever.
They had to page him 3 times, and they tried to go find him. They let me pee twice again. Finally he came, around 11:30. The embryologist let us see our little embryos on the screen. So the doctor puts the speculum in, and the nurse starts with the u/s on my tummy, but there's something wrong with the u/s machine, it's frozen. So they had to shut it down and reboot it. The whole time the speculum is in me, and the doctor was cleaning with sponges and swabs; not very comfortable. He made me laugh and I couldnt stop, and it was weird because of the speculum, and having to pee so bad. Finally the u/s machine was working, so the embryologist brought the embryos. The doctor then tried to get the catheter in, but he couldnt get it through my cervix. And the nurse was having a hard time finding my uterus with the u/s. The doctor kept saying it was a little to the right, and then he was calling it a septate uterus, whatever that means. But he was saying I have a nice uterus, which he has said before.
FINALLY he got the catheter in, and when he pushed the embryos, and fluid, into my uterus, you could see it on the u/s. It was weird. So, it took forever, but now it's done! And I'm relieved and happy and excited. Trying not to stress and be nervous. Just going to be positive.

________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. Yayayay! Can't wait to hear if they stuck. :) PS: I have a septate uterus too. I don't think its a big deal though.

    ReplyDelete